Service Changes: effective 21 October 2020
We regret that due to a shortage of staff, service to the public is limited to:
- Providing assistance in locating one’s own baptism, confirmation and marriage record;
- Providing assistance to a parent or guardian in obtaining a minor child’s baptism or other sacramental certificate; and
- Responding to requests for baptism, marriage and burial information for identification (ID), legal, Métis and Treaty status purposes. See the genealogical research section below.
The Archives is currently closed to in-person research. Research assistance by phone or email is temporarily suspended.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
The mandate of The Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton Archives is to collect the acts of the curia and all documents which concern the spiritual and temporal affairs of the parishes and institutions of the Archdiocese.
Genealogical research for Métis or Treaty status
The Archives provides limited reference assistance to researchers such as looking up information from finding aids, databases and quick reference files. Staff will not perform research services such as consulting documents and records in order to provide specific information relating to a request.
The Archives holds the following original sacramental registers that were previously held at the Archives of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate located at the Provincial Archives of Alberta:
- Lac Ste. Anne Parish (1842-1984)
- St. Joachim Parish (1858-1961)
- St. Albert Parish (1861-1965)
- Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Lamoureux (now part of Our Lady of the Angels, Fort Saskatchewan) (1877-1902)
- Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, Maswacis (formerly Hobbema) (1885-1920)
- St. Thomas Mission, Duhamel (1881-1921)
Researchers are requested to review the policies and procedures below before submitting a request for information from the sacramental records of the aforementioned parishes.
- Policy No. 823 – Access to Sacramental Records
- Policy No. 824 – Searches for Genealogical or Identification Purposes
- Appendix 824A – Baptismal Record Genealogical Request Form
- Appendix 824B – Marriage Record Genealogical Request Form
- Appendix 824C – Burial Record Genealogical Request Form
- Appendix 824D – Family Tree Form
Request forms may be submitted to: email@example.com
The Archives receives previously used church items. The Archives maintains a clearing house, a location where liturgical objects, vestments and other items are kept for re-use. Please refer to the guidelines prior to donating or obtaining items.
Office hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Friday
Lea de la Paz
780-469-1010 ext. 2142
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Archdiocese maintains duplicate copies of Baptism, Confirmation, Marriage, Ordination, and Burial registers. The Archdiocese does not maintain copies of First Communion or Reconciliation registers.
Access to Sacramental Records
- Information about a sacramental record will only be released to the person whose name appears in the record, with the following exception:
If the individual is under 18, information will be released to the parents or legal guardians of the individual.
- The Archdiocese does not maintain a comprehensive database of sacramental records. If sufficient information is not provided, the Archdiocese may not be able to conduct a search.
- The Archdiocese does not issue copies of sacramental records. Copies are only issued from the parish holding the original register. If you know the parish where you received your sacraments, please contact the parish directly.
We also maintain a list of the locations of registers from all closed or merged parishes.
Exception: The Archdiocesan Archives has the original baptismal registers for:
- Charles Camsell Hospital (1946-1994)
- Misericordia Hospital (1900-1970)
- Edmonton General Hospital (1928-1988)
Please contact the Archives for more information.
- Please note that past sacramental record keeping traditions in the Archdiocese have not always been consistent, often leading to absences or errors in formal baptism, confirmation, marriage, and burial registers.
- For searches conducted for sacramental purposes there is no charge (i.e. searches for confirmation certificates in order to be a baptism or confirmation sponsor, or searches for baptism certificates in order to enroll a child in Catholic School).
- Search requests for all other purposes completed by the Archdiocesan Archives will be charged a fee of $50 per request regardless of whether or not the search proves successful.
For more information please call 780-469-1010.
Or email us: email@example.com