The administrative and pastoral governance of the Archdiocese is conducted under the authority of the Archbishop with the assistance of key advisors, vicars, pastors and lay people.
These collaborate with the Archbishop through various councils or committees required by canon law or established by the Archbishop to oversee or advise on specific administrative or pastoral matters.
The main councils and committees serving the Archdiocese are:
- Episcopal Council (c. 473, §4): Vicar General, Chancellor, Episcopal Vicars
- Presbyteral Council (c. 495): Vicar General, Chancellor, Episcopal Vicars, Deans and Vice-Deans
- College of Consultors (c. 502): Members of the Presbyteral Council, appointed by the Archbishop to advise on specific governance matters or in special circumstances.
- Archdiocesan Pastoral Council (c. 511): Lay and ordained members of the faithful appointed to advise the Archbishop on the pastoral works of the Archdiocese.
- Archdiocesan Finance Council (c. 492): Lay and ordained members of the faithful appointed to advise the Archbishop on the financial works of the Archdiocese.
- Senior Leadership Team: Archbishop, Vicar General, Chancellor, Judicial Vicar, Principal Secretary, Mission Leadership-Senior Lead, Mission Advancement-Senior Lead, Mission Services-Senior Lead.
- Indigenous Advisory Council: Lay and ordained members of the faithful from Metis and First nations communities within the Archdiocese, appointed to advise the Archbishop on matters involving or of specific interest to Indigenous persons or communities in the Archdiocese.
- Edmonton Catholic Agencies Network (ECAN): A network of Catholic agencies in the Edmonton area convened to enrich and support their respective missions and the social teachings of the Church, in service to the overall mission of the Archdiocese.
- Mission Collaboration Initiative (MCI): A province-wide network of Catholic agencies and organizations convened to enrich and support their respective missions and the social teachings of the Church, in service to the Bishops of Alberta & the NWT.
- Sexual Abuse Prevention and Response Committee: A body of professionals with specialized expertise in matters relating to sexual abuse, to advise and assist the Archbishop (and/or the Archbishop’s Delegate) in matters relating to the prevention of and response to sexual abuse.