The Archdiocese of Edmonton has updated guidelines for liturgical celebrations and the use of parish space following the Government of Alberta’s December 8 announcement of stronger public health measures to keep everyone safe, protect the health system, and slow the spread of COVID-19.
These new measures should be followed by all parishes, regardless of the municipality in which they are located.
- Effective December 8, all indoor and outdoor social gatherings, public and private, are prohibited;
- Effective December 13, masses are limited to 15% of fire code occupancy for in-person attendance. Virtual or online services are recommended. Funerals and weddings continue to have a maximum allowable attendance of 10 (this number includes the officiant, bride/groom and witnesses, but does not include staff or organizers who are not considered invited guests.)
Additional safety measures:
- Services must be held at their normal location. Since the use of the parish hall as overflow is a normal location for liturgies in some parishes, those parishes can use both the church and their overflow space as long as they limit attendance in each to 15% of fire code occupancy, or less if required for safe social distancing. Please note that the church and the parish hall each have their own fire code occupancy;
- In-person faith group meetings are still permitted when conducted at a place of worship as long as physical distancing and public health measures are followed. The maximum allowable attendance is 10 people in total;
- Effective December 8, masks are mandatory in all indoor public spaces and workplaces. A reminder that the celebrant and others speaking in front of a congregation are permitted to remove their masks while speaking provided they maintain 2 metre distance from others while doing so. Once finished speaking, the speaker must put on their mask again;
- We ask for online or phone registrations for Christmas masses to avoid line-ups or physical contact with parish staff.
Download the full guidelines (PDF, 1 page)
Questions or concerns should be directed to the Office of Divine Worship which be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.