Loading Events

« All Events

Jubilee of Holy Name, Vermillion & St. Columba, Clandonald

August 23 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm

Please join us for our Jubilee Celebration on August 23rd

  • Holy Name Parish – Solemn Divine Liturgy: 10 am

  • Senior Centre (5324 50 Ave.) – Jubilee Gathering: 11:30 am

Celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation of several youth with Most. Rev. Paul Terrio, Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of St. Paul, AB

THE HOLY NAME PARISH CHURCH, VERMILION

 (1976-2026)

The first Roman Catholic Church in Vermilion was built in 1909 and Father Henri Goutier was appointed as its first pastor. As the Holy Name of Jesus Parish continued to grow rapidly a new Church was built and officially opened by Archbishop MacDonald in 1953. But a few months after the 65th Anniversary Celebration of the Parish, this Church was lost by fire on March 1, 1975.

However, within a short period of 17 months under the direction of the Pastor, Rev. Edward Purcell a new Church was built. The members of the Parish Council have been vitally involved in the building program. The support of the Archdiocese of Edmonton and other Christian denominations was truly powerful. The official opening and dedication of the new Holy Name of Jesus parish Church, Vermilion was on Sunday, August 22, 1976.

As it is the Golden-Jubilee of the dedication of the Church, we thank God for fifty years of faithfulness, guidance and love within this spiritual home. Bless this congregation with renewed strength, deep unity, and an ongoing passion to shine Your light in the world for many years to come.

“Congratulations on reaching this glorious milestone. May this Church go from strength to strength, touching more lives with the love of Christ”

COLUMBA CATHOLIC CHURCH, CLANDONALD

(1926-2026)

St. Columba Parish celebrates its centenary on 23 August 2026. The parish community was formed in 1926 by the settlers coming from England, Ireland, and Scotland, under the leadership of Rev. Andrew MacDonnell and Rev. Donald Maclntyre. At first, Mass was celebrated in a tent on a parishioner’s farm. A Church was built in 1926/1927 and blessed on June 10, 1927, by Archbishop Henry Joseph O’Leary and dedicated to St. Columba. Rev. Malcolm MacDonald was appointed pastor and became the first resident priest of St. Columba.

As the community grew rapidly with births and the addition of settlers from other countries, there was soon a need for a bigger Church. In 1959 funds were raised for a new Church, and in 1961 under the direction of Rev. Edward Purcell and Rev. Charles Nearing the construction began. Archbishop J.H. MacDonald officiated at a Solemn blessing of the new St. Columba Church on September 14, 1961. Since 1990, St. Columba has been served by the Pastor of the Catholic parish of the Holy Name, Vermilion.

“Congratulations on a century of grace! May this centenary milestone be a celebration of your rich history and a beacon of hope for the generations to come!”

Details

Venue