“I want to say one word
to you and this word is joy.
Wherever consecrated people are,
there is always joy!”
In 2013, Pope Francis declared that a Year of Consecrated Life (YCL) be celebrated throughout the world. The year began on the First Sunday of Advent, November 30, 2014. It will close on the World Day of Consecrated Life, on February 2, 2016.
In his Apostolic Letter to Consecrated People, the Holy Father underlined these aims for the Year of Consecrated Life: to look to the past with gratitude, to live the present with passion and to embrace the future with hope.
Wondering about Religious Life?
Abide YEG is a great new resource for young adults in the Year of Consecrated Life. The blog includes excellent podcasts by Father Glenn, who uses the Gospel of John to address questions that young adults have told us are at top of mind in today's world. He is assisted by a university student who is discerning, and together they post answers to all kinds of questions about religious life, and life in general. Be sure to share with anyone you know who may be wondering ... http://abideyeg.blogspot.ca/
In this video, Sister Rita Larivée, SSA, president of the Canadian Religious Conference, speaks about significance of the Year for all of us.
In the Archdiocese of Edmonton
How can we participate in this special year? Here are some ideas:
- Identify the sisters, brothers and priests in your parish who are called to consecrated life; include their names, and the name and charism of the their congregation on the parish web page and/or parish bulletin.
- Choose a Mass that places particular emphasis on the call to consecrated life. How?
• invite those in consecrated life to share the ministries for that Mass, e.g. music ministry, lectors, Prayers of the Faithful, Eucharistic ministers
• reference consecrated life in the homily (explain it as a particular way to live out one's baptismal call)
• invite those in consecrated life to renew their vows (a generic formula could be used) following the homily
• use the Prayer of the Faithful prepared by Sr. Jeannette, SP:
We pray in GRATITUDE for the consecrated women and men of our Archdiocese, for witnessing to us as baptized Christians, how to live our PRESENT moments with PASSION for the JOY of the Gospel, so that we may all move forward into life, with a FUTURE filled with HOPE.
• serve refreshments after Mass in the parish hall or foyer
• invite the congregations to prepare a display about their congregation, that would be visible in the foyer or parish hall